Seiten

Mittwoch, 19. Mai 2010

The time will come when we will be people again, and not just Jews!


I finished reading Anne Frank a couple of days ago.. I have probably read over 20 books by people who survived the Shoah or stories about this time.
I enjoyed jewish studies in class. Learning more about the jewish culture, their traditions and beliefs. I took a class by Miriam Pressler last semester. She is the women who translated Anne Frank from dutch to german. She also translated many other books about the holocaust and is Jewish herself, but grew up in a christian foster home. She never told us what happened to her family during WWII...

It makes me sad to know, that the people who survived, who actually were in Auschwitz, Buchenwald, Bergen Belsen, Dachau, Stutthof... and were rescued by the Red Army, will soon all be dead. They will be gone, their memories will disappear with them and I feel like Hitler will win all over again. Yes he won.. He killed millions of Jewish people, he killed children, women and men. He killed germans, polish, dutch and so many more.... He killed the innocent....

I want to reach out to those who are alive, hear their stories, cry with them, hold their hands in mine and tell them that they are loved and will never be forgotten.. I want to make sure that their stories will be told over and over again, that there will be rocks on every single jewish grave, because I wont forget them. I will never be able to erase the images that are in my head. These images that shouldn't even exist in the worst nightmares. I will never be able to erase the stories, their lives out of head. They will always be a part of this world, a part that will be missed greatly.

I am not able to grasp what occured during WWII. The things that happened seem so surreal, yet they aren't. It is so hard to believe what people had to go through and it upsets me, that many teachers choose to not talk about this time of OUR history. Education can prevent similar things from happening and is so important..

I know I won't be able to change the world. I probably won't ever be able to talk to a survivor, but what I CAN do is read their books, take classes and make sure that they won't be forgotten...

Did you know that they had to stop printing some of these books because no one bought them?
Do you know how hard it is to even get a hold of these books?
Did you know that Anne Franks name actually was Annelies Marie Frank?
Did you know that there are books about the Holocaust that are for appropriate for children in elementary school?
Did you know that some victims were never able to adjust to a normal life afterwards and choose a life away from civilisation?
Did you know that many families counted the people they lost each and every night before going to bed?
Did you know that trains arrived with survivors in bigger cities and that many came their in hope of finding a relative or friend and had to leave with empty arms?
Did you know that many refused the compensation money that Germany offered?

No amount of money could have given them their old lives back...

1 Kommentar:

Jewelcat hat gesagt…

I just love to hear your insight and your love threw your blogging....you are one truly special child of God! And you have great things instore for you my dear!